Columbia Personal Injury Lawyer
Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Missouri
Being involved in a serious accident or suffering a major injury because of another person’s negligence can leave you feeling angry, confused, and unsure of what to do next. At Aaron Sachs & Associates, P.C., we understand what a stressful time this is for you and your family. The good news is that you do not have to face the future alone.
Our team of experienced personal injury attorneys in Columbia is here to provide the compassionate support and personalized guidance you need. We are aggressive advocates for our clients, helping victims of severe injury fight for justice and the fair compensation they are owed. No matter how complex your case may be, our firm is ready to help.
If you were injured and need help filing a personal injury claim, contact Aaron Sachs & Associates, P.C. at (888) 287-1046 and request a free, no-obligation consultation.
Who Can File a Personal Injury Claim?
Anyone who has been injured due to the careless, reckless, or intentional conduct of another could be entitled to file a personal injury claim.
To have grounds for a claim, you will need to prove each of the following elements:
- Duty of Care: You must establish that the other person or party owed you a duty of care, meaning they had a legal responsibility to act reasonably and take general precautions to avoid causing injury or harm to others.
- Breach: You must also prove that the other person or party breached or failed to uphold the duty of care. This is typically established by showing that the other person or party acted negligently, recklessly, carelessly, or wrongfully or caused intentional harm.
- Injuries: To bring a personal injury claim, you must prove that you were actually injured. In a legal sense, “injuries” can be physical in nature, but they can also include economic and non-economic losses sustained due to the accident or incident. These are also known as “damages.”
- Causation: Lastly, you must be able to prove that the other person or party’s breach of the duty of care was the direct or proximate cause of your injuries and/or losses. This means that, had they upheld the duty of care, you would not have been injured.
It is also important to note that Missouri has a five-year statute of limitations on most personal injury claims. This means that you typically only have five years to file a personal injury lawsuit (with some exceptions). In most cases, the five-year deadline begins on the date of injury or the date on which the injury was discovered or reasonably could have been discovered. If you fail to file a lawsuit within this timeframe, you will almost certainly lose your right to recover compensation.
What Damages Can You Collect in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
The purpose of a civil lawsuit is to compensate the victim for his or her injuries and losses, also known as “damages.” These damages can be either economic in nature, meaning they have a set dollar value associated with them, or non-economic, meaning they are more intangible in nature.
Depending on the specifics of a case, it may be possible to recover monetary compensation for the following damages:
- Medical expenses associated with treating the injury
- Ongoing and future medical care costs
- Emergency services, such as ambulance fees and hospital bills
- Lost income/wages from time taken off work to recover
- Lost future earnings and earning capacity due to disability
- Pain and suffering, including both physical pain and emotional/mental distress
- Costs related to in-home assistance and care
- Treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, etc.
While every case is different, and the exact value of your claim is unique to the factors involved, our Columbia personal injury attorneys are committed to doing everything possible to maximize your recovery. At Aaron Sachs & Associates, P.C., we have extensive experience taking on major insurance carriers and holding negligent parties accountable for the harm they cause.
Finding the Right Attorney for Your Case
Numerous studies have found that people who hire personal injury lawyers typically recover significantly higher settlements than those who attempt to resolve their claims on their own. But how do you find the right lawyer for your case? How can you be confident that your attorney has the experience, resources, and skill to effectively advocate for you?
At Aaron Sachs & Associates, P.C., we are set apart from other personal injury lawyers due to our:
- Skilled and proven team of trial lawyers
- Extensive experience in and knowledge of the law
- Commitment to client-focused service
- Dedication to giving back to our local communities
- Large network of paralegals, case managers, and support staff
- Access to valuable litigation resources
We have a proven history of success and, together, our attorneys bring more than 235 years of combined legal experience to every case.
We represent clients in all types of personal injury matters, including cases involving:
- Car accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Boating accidents
- Catastrophic injuries
- Construction accidents
- Defective products
- Dog bites
- Drunk driving accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Slip and falls
- Trucking accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Premises liability
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists
- Wrongful death
We also assist clients who need help filing workers’ compensation claims or navigating the Social Security disability (SSD) process. Regardless of your unique needs, you can rely on our firm to provide the compassionate support you deserve and the aggressive advocacy you need.
Give us a call at (888) 287-1046 or contact us online today to request a no-cost, no-obligation consultation with one of our Columbia personal injury attorneys.
Why People Love Aaron Sachs & Associates, P.C.
“My experience as a client was no less than phenomenal. The attorney who handled my case was great. my biggest praise goes to the paralegal who was there for me every moment, Peggy Forest.”- Larry Ward
“Thank you, Daniel, and thank you Aaron Sachs.”- J. Mallory
“Thank you all for everything. Dana Baker was great. She took over, lifting the burden of dealing with the insurance companies so we were able to focus on healing. She kept us informed every step of the way. I would recommend it to everyone. Again thank you”- Jaden Austin