Columbia Missouri residents have been startled by the car accident statistics recently released by the the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) showing that one out of eight traffic fatalities is caused by a truck accident. Approximately 500,000 truck accidents happen every year, nationwide. Of this number, some 5,000 truck crashes result in fatalities.
Although the trucking industry is booming, and we certainly need trucks to ship food and other goods across the country, sharing the roads with these huge 10,000-80,000 pound vehicles creates a dangerous situation for Columbia and Jefferson City Missouri drivers. Columbia truck accident lawyers point out that because of the huge weight difference, cars, vans and SUVs are at a potentially fatal disadvantage in a truck accident. 98% of all fatalities in a truck accident occur to the occupants of the smaller passenger vehicles--not the trucks.
Perhaps you imagine most of these fatal truck crashes to take place in a bigger city such as Columbia? If you live in a Boone County city such as Fulton, Boonville, Mexico, Moberly, Sedalia, or one of the outlying areas, you might be surprised to learn that 68% of all fatal truck accidents occur not in cities, but in rural regions.
Tips for Boone County Drivers to Avoid Dangerous Truck Accidents:
1. Distracted driving is always dangerous, but even more-so around trucks--Stay extra alert when driving near a tractor trailer or other big rig.
2. Stay out of a truck's blind spots--if you cannot see his mirrors, he cannot see you.
3. In inclement weather, trucks need extra room and more time to stop or maneuver. Give them a wide berth.
4. Avoid passing a truck on the right when the truck is turning right.
5. Never cut off a truck while passing.
6. Do not drive aggressively as revenge if a truck is tailgating or driving aggressively. This is a dangerous game that you are likely to lose.
Feel free to report any truck you see driving erratically or aggressively. Most trucking companies want to make sure their drivers are not involved in accidents, and provide a number on the back of the truck to report any bad driving. Columbia personal injury attorneys advise you to let a passenger in your vehicle take down the number and make the call. Unless your cell phones is of the "hands free" variety, phoning while driving may distract you, which can have equally fatal consequences!
The Columbia Truck Accident Lawyers at Aaron Sachs & Associates, P.C. can provide necessary legal assistance if you or a loved one has been in an accident with a big truck, semi truck, tanker, or tractor trailer. Contact us for a free consultation with no pressure or obligation at our Columbia office. Attorney meetings by appointment only.