After gaining years of experience behind the wheel, drivers sometimes forget the basic rules they learned in driver's ed--ironic, but true. Below, you'll find a short quiz from our Poplar Bluff car accident attorneys to test your knowledge of Missouri traffic laws. You might be surprised at your score...
Have fun with the quiz, and then check your answers below. We think brushing up on traffic laws is a worthwhile exercise: after all, a driver who knows and follows roadway rules is less likely to be involved in a collision. The more safe drivers there are on Missouri highways, the better.
Test Your Knowledge of Missouri Rules of the Road
1. True or False - Even when approaching a green light, you must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians.
2. True or False - Drivers can block a crosswalk when stopped at a red traffic signal.
3. True or False - The penalty for littering can be up to $1,000 and/or up to one year in jail.
4. True or False - It is the right of every Missourian to hold a driver's license and to drive.
5. True or False - Only the driver is required to wear a seat belt at all times.
6. True or False - It is acceptable to back up if you miss your turn on the highway and the traffic lane is clear.
7. True or False - You may pass another vehicle by using the shoulder of the road if that vehicle is traveling too slowly.
8. True or False - Two solid yellow lines on the pavement mean passing is not allowed.
9. True or False - A flashing red light must be treated the same as a stop sign.
10. True or False - The "No-Zone" refers to parking in restricted areas.
Keep reading to check your answers...
Correct Answers (from the Missouri Department of Revenue)
The following are laws or rules from the Missouri Driver Guide:
1. TRUE - Pedestrians have the right-of-way once they are in an intersection. Even if the crossing light has changed and you have a green light, you must take all actions possible to avoid endangering pedestrians.
2. FALSE - Drivers should not block the crosswalk when stopped, and they should not cross a sidewalk or crosswalk without first yielding to pedestrians.
3. TRUE - Littering is against the law. You could be fined up to $1,000 and spend time in jail. (A little known fact: littering includes cigarette butts.)
4. FALSE - Driving is a privilege, not a right. This driving privilege must be earned and you can lose your driving privilege if you disobey traffic laws.
5. FALSE - Everyone should wear a seat belt at all times. It is the law for front seat occupants and all occupants riding with an intermediate driver.
6.FALSE - Never back up in any travel lane. You should proceed to the next exit or a safe place to turn around.
7.FALSE - In no event can a driver drive off of the pavement or main travel portion of a roadway.
8. TRUE - A solid yellow line means "do not cross," as does a solid white. Solid lines are meant to guide traffic safely and to prevent car accidents. Try not to cross solid white or yellow lines.
9. TRUE - At a flashing red light, you must come to a complete stop and yield the right-of-way to the first vehicle stopped at the intersection. A flashing yellow light means slow down and proceed with caution.
10. FALSE - The "No-Zone" is the term used to describe the blind spots around a large truck or bus. You should avoid driving in the "No Zone," as the driver cannot see you.
We hope you scored well! While we offer this quiz in fun, the truth remains that Missouri traffic laws exist to keep drivers safe. Some may seem silly or trivial, but they all help reduce the risk of a collision, which ultimately saves lives.
For more information about traffic rules and their impact on accident injury claims, visit our website; or contact us toll-free (1-888-777-AUTO). We offer a free initial consultation.Attorney meetings by appointment only